Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Install MS Word Plug-In
To install the plug in:
- Open Mendeley Desktop
- Select Tools from the toolbar
- Choose Install MS Word Plugin
Once installed, the plugin will be available every time you open a Word Document. This plugin will be located within the 'References' tab of Word.
Major citation styles including APA, MLA, and Chicago, are available in Mendeley.
To view, add, or create your own citation style select View --> Citation Style --> More Styles from your Mendeley desktop.
Insert a citation
Once the citation plugin has been installed, citations can easily be added to documents in many word processing systems. To insert a citation using Microsoft Word:
- Place you cursor exactly where the citation will be used.
- Select the References tab and locate the Mendeley Cite-O-Matic options.
- Click the Insert Citation button and search for references by author, title, or year from your library.
- After a reference has been selected, click OK. The reference will appear in your selected area.
- After a citation has been inserted, you may change the citation style using the drop down box titled Style.
Create a bibliography
After you have inserted at least one citation, you may use the 'insert bibliography' tool to automatically generate a bibliography. When using this tool, it will create a bibliography containing every citation inserted in your document.
Chat With Us!
Call: (805) 898-2920
Call: (805) 898-4035
Major portions of this guide were created using the Mendeley LibGuide published by the University of Pittsburgh's University Library System. We thank Pitt for kindly granting us permission to reuse portions of their guide.